Thursday, October 4, 2012

Apple Tartes Fines








My first introduction to a tarte fine was during one of my trips to Paris. I was struck by the many beautiful pastries on display in the windows of the French bakeries. The light and flaky crusts with fresh fruit were irresistible! I recall hand carrying a variety of them home on the plane with me. When I saw this recipe it reminded me of that trip and I determined to relive the memory of hand selecting just the right pastries to bring home.  

Basically a tarte fine is a flattened round crust layered with multiple thin slices of fruit in a spiral pattern. This is such a simple recipe but produces a beautiful result.  I love the sweet and tart flavor of the apple combined with the crisp and chewy texture of the puff pastry.  Enjoy!   

Ingredients:
2 sheets frozen puff pasty, thawed
2 small red apples, cored and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin)
2/3 cup sugar
Juice of one lemon
Melted, unsalted butter to brush
1 egg lightly beaten
1/4 cup apple jelly gently warmed
Cinnamon to sprinkle

Method:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut out 6 five inch circles from the pastry. Place on the lined baking tray, prick with a fork and chill for 10 minutes.

Thinly slice the apples and sprinkle with lemon juice. This will prevent the apples from turning brown. Spread 1 tablespoon of sugar onto each round leaving a 1/4 inch border from the edge. Arrange the apple on top of the sugar in a circular pattern, so the slices are overlapping slightly. Brush with melted butter, then sprinkle with sugar and a hit of cinnamon. Brush pastry border with egg then bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until golden. Remove from the oven and brush with the warmed apple jelly all over each tart.

1 comment: